Friday, October 10, 2008

Vista

Vista... love it or hate it?

Change is difficult.  We all like shiny new things, but we also like the familiarity of things we've grown used to having around us.  We like that sameness that allows us to perform a task quickly and efficiently because we know exactly where everything is and just what we need to do with it... and then along comes a shiny new operating system!  It's pretty, and has lots of "eye candy," but it's not familiar.  It upsets our apple cart.  Things have been changed somewhat, and we don't like change, do we?  We want everything to be nice and new, but at the same time we want it all to be in the same familiar place.  That's human nature, after all.

Beta testing is different... it's a fun thing... kind of like a test driving a new car.  A test drive doesn't mean you're going to buy it, you're just trying it out.  Actually switching over to a new operating system is serious stuff.  It's not just a test drive anymore... it's a real commitment.  

At the time Vista made it's debut, I was in no particular rush to switch to a new operating system.  My two desktop computers were doing just fine with XP Pro, so I felt there was plenty of time before I would need to think about a switch... at least that's what I thought.  However, as fate would have it, my XP Media Center laptop determined otherwise.  The display kept going blank and so my laptop was sent out for repair.  After I got it back, it worked fine for a few days and then the display went blank again.  The machine was still under warranty, and I was offered an upgraded replacement... complete with Windows Vista.  I took it. 

Well, I admit it took a bit of time to get used to the different way some things are presented in Vista; however, in the long run, I've found the layout to be more intuitive than in Windows XP.  I've also found that Vista is far better at finding and fetching new device drivers than XP, and setting up and/or networking a new Vista compatible printer is a snap.  Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could install and network our old HP Officejet printer that originally was purchased for and used with a Windows 98 machine.  I have also found that I have more and better management control with Vista than I do with XP Pro. 

Vista has many features, far too many to mention here, so I'll just list a few of my fun favorites.  Some of the built-in features I enjoy in Vista that are not available in XP are the Snipping Tool, Sidebar, Dreamscene wallpaper (Ultimate only) and the built-in calendar.

The Snipping Tool is a handy tool that makes quick and easy work of screen shots and also has highlighting and drawings tools. 

The Sidebar is a handy place for a vast array of gadgets or just keeping up with newsfeeds. 

Dreamscene (Vista Ultimate only) is just amazing if you're into animated wallpaper, such as cascading waterfalls surrounded by an abundance of trees with their branches and leaves waving in the breeze.  I really like this fun feature. 

The calendar is convenient and readily accessible.  Not everyone uses an e-mail program that comes with a calendar.  Even if you do, there may be some things you'd prefer to keep separate from your usual calendar.  This will do it. 

Vista is a more secure, more powerful operating system than Windows XP.  It requires more RAM and a good video card.  (I recommend 2 gigabytes of RAM for Home Premium and Ultimate versions).  Don't buy a $300.00 machine with 512 megabytes of RAM and expect it to run Vista Home Premium or Ultimate well, because it can't... and you won't be happy with it.  Don't assume that a poorly appointed, cheap machine is going to work just fine for you because, "The computer manufacturer wouldn't have built it that way if it wouldn't work right."  Unfortunately, that's not true.  Supply and demand often create a market for substandard devices.  Save yourself a bucket of headaches by first deciding which features are a must-have for you, then you can select the Vista version that will best suit your needs.  After doing that, you'll be better equipped to evaluate and determine the kind of hardware you need to properly support that version and its features. 

The bottom line is, I have found that many Vista complaints are due more to the poor shopping decisions made by the consumer and less to the operating system itself.  Many people have purchased substandard systems and many have upgraded XP systems to Vista without first running the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. 

Do yourself a favor, be a smart informed shopper and you'll be a happy computer owner.

--
Jane Edwards, MS-MVP
Consumer Security 2006 - 2011